Jul 21, 2005

Life goes on...

It's been some time and I still haven't managed to find a place to live. It's not that there is a severe lack of housing this side of the universe. However, at this point in life I think I can afford to be a bit picky about where I live. One estate agent showed me a place that was dank and dark and seemed very dirty besides. Uneven flooring, small cupboards, dirty kitchen. And he quoted the normal rates for a posh flat.

So all said and done, I'm looking at the outskirts of the city, where there are decent apartments to be found, with electricity backup via a generator, RO water (that's reverse osmosis water treatment plant, for those back home), lawns in the front; all the works.

The broadband connection comes much later, though it does seem that there are some smaller operators out here, some who even offer WiFi connections (though I don't even want to think about the price for that one). As for Veera's comment - it's not the lack of operators that is the problem. It's the cost/benefit ratio that I'm concerned about. I just don't think it's affordable to pay a thousand bucks for a limited connection. I don't want to think twice before letting my OS updates go through or before downloading a demo for the game I want to buy. A 400-500MB limit just doesn't cut it.

1 comment:

Sunil Pichamuthu said...

Hi Alok,

I think Airtel offers a Home 128 kbps unlimited internet + Phone (Rs, 450 worth free calls) for around Rs. 1,650 per month inclusive of taxes.