Dec 5, 2016

Hunting for a supermarket

It looks like the place I am currently living at is somewhat in the newer side of the SIP, so there aren't too many shops around. There is, fortunately, a Papa John's just across the street and I've been there a couple of times.

I was told about a supermartket in the "Dushu Lake Neighborhood Center" which is not too far from where I live. I could take the subway, but I decided to walk down to get a feel for exactly where it is, to see the sights along the road and to general get some exercise from the walk. I managed to locate the subway station on Google maps and made my way there, with the supermarket somewhere in the vicinity. It took about 15 minutes of walking at a leisurly pace and I came across the entrances to the subway and a large building with "Dushu Lake Neighborhood Center" written on it (in English and Chinese).

Now, here's the difficult part - I couldn't figure out the way inside because there was no obvious entry point. There were a couple of doors marked "Cellar", a hotel entrance and a bus stop with buses going in and out. I finally stopped 3 youngsters who had apparently got off one of the buses, and asked them where the supermarket was. It looks like they understood what I wanted but weren't comfortable responding in English. Finally a girl pointed down and I understood that it was underground. I still needed to know how to get there and then they actually took me all the way in and down and pointed out where it was - very helpful, I must say.

I wandered around a bit inside the store, picked up some fruit and vegetables but had a tough time with the labels for the other items I was thinking of getting. Paid for my stuff in cash and walked back. The whole exercise took me about an hour.

No comments: