Oct 15, 2005

Uhhhhh....

Techtree.com sends me a newsletter every day. The one I see today has this:

Bi-directional printing: Printing in which not only does your PC send data to the printer, but the printer sends data to the PC, like information on the current printer status (for example, out of paper).


Maybe I'm mistaken here but I thought that bi-di printing was back in the good old days of dot matrix printing where the printer head would actually print one line in one direction and the other in the reverse direction, to save the time required for the carriage return. Those good old days!

Can anyone tell me if I am correct? (Of course I am, I just want to see if there are any other people left over from the good old days.)

1 comment:

chaos said...

the activity that techtree refers is a handshake (signal/ information) between the periferals and the processor... (that's what i remember)!

bi-directional printing literally means what you have mentioned...