Jun 24, 2006

More on traffic

Regardless of my outburst about the PM advising motorists to be polite, I must point out that he is not quite off the mark. My comment was about the PM making such remarks when he and his kind are obviously not in touch with the common man's life and what provokes the incidents one sees on the road.

But it is clear that there are idiots on the road and I come across them all the time. There is one particular traffic signal which is completely disregarded by almost everyone. Sometimes I feel foolish, waiting for the signal to turn green when traffic flows all around me, in all directions. Getting through the crossroads is a big hassle even when I have the green light, because people simply don't care. I am sorely tempted to simply walk up to one of these folk and hit out at them. As it is, I try to convey my anger by frowns and gestures and loud honking when I have the right of way, but I don't think anybody is bothered much by all that.

What is it that makes otherwise decent (and I am going out on a limb here) people behave so oddly on the road? I assume that they wait at all other traffic lights since I don't see the same problem anywhere else. So what's different about this particular set of signals? Are they some mystical lights that only I (and a few other fools) can see? I have never had to wait more than 30-40 seconds at this crossroads. I don't understand the big hurry.

No comments: