Jun 25, 2006

Worst game ever?

I got the King Kong game along with my 7900gt video card and yesterday I actually got down to installing it. I'm not really a fan of movie-games and I didn't expect much from this one. I got even less.

It's SLOW. On a 7900 and a dual core Opteron running at 2.4GHz and 1GB RAM, this game is dead slow. And I was running at the lowest resolution possible. I can't believe I would have some setting wrong on such a system that would make me exit from the game and switch it off altogether in disgust. The other gripe I have is that the load times were huge. I was delighted at first when I saw the progress bar zipping away, it reached the end, stopped, backed up one step and then started again from zero! After enduring one such load, all I got to see was the scene where the characters get off the ship and row to the shore; then another load screen starts.

The first time I ran the game, I had a Sidewinder gamepad connected and somehow that managed to put the game into a tizzy. My character wouldn't stop looking at the sky! I had to quit from the game and disable the gamepad and start the game again. For some reason, the display was very... shaky is the best word. And slow. Looking around was painful.

I continued on anyway, hoping things would get better. Then I saw my entire party of "friends" climbing up some steps and vanishing. They didn't climb all the way up and over the steps, they disappeared halfway up! I followed them up the steps and got killed. I don't know what killed me or how, but it happened consistently - walk up some steps and you're dead. I then tried climbing up while crouching and surprisingly got all the way to the top, and then I didn't know what to do. I could hear people shouting for me, but I had absolutely no idea about how to proceed. There was a crack in the rocks from which I could see some spider like creatures, but I wasn't allowed to enter that area.

I gave up and returned to playing NFS MW.

No comments: