Jul 30, 2006

Emailing a CV?

Welcome to rediff.com

This little article caught my eye while I was browsing through rediff. Nope, I'm not thinking of switching jobs. I was merely intrigued by what advice the writer would throw out regarding this topic.

Personally, I have never ever written an email sending my resume to a total stranger, unasked for. It has always been through consultants who call ME up first, or directly to friends in the target companies.

Somehow I found the few comments that the article attracted, ummm... amusing. Formality has mostly been given up in the IT industry, and since I have never had to interact in this manner with someone outside the industry I have no idea whether "received your contact info" or "owe your contact details" make any difference. Personally, I would probably end up writing "I got your email id from...". The other interesting thing was the "follow up call". I would be really pissed off if every sundry email sender started calling me to verify that the email was received!

Having reached this ripe old age (!) my experiences in CV writing and reading tell me:

1. Keep it simple, stupid.
2. CV = 1 page
3. Write numbers.
4. Write a list of skills.
6. Plain text.
7. Interpret what you have written from the hiring managers point of view.

No comments: