Jan 25, 2017

Embracing Technology - The Wrong Way!


I've got a nice car insurance policy that gives an OBDII device that can track the car along with reporting other normal parameters that you can get from OBD (I have another OBDII device but it connects to a local system via Bluetooth). Now, to activate this device I need to download an Android app, scan the barcode on the device and install in the car. Simple?

Download app -- oops, country restricted app. Somehow Google Play doesn't think I'm in India so it blocks the app download. Not sure what Google has in mind, but why would the insurance company put this restriction on a free app?

Workaround, set the Play Store to another account I have on my phone which is set to India, app downloads and installs.

Run app, asks for userid and password -- oops, the insurance company did not send one. Shouldn't be a problem, I can just register a new one.

New user -- oops, email is already in use. Phone number is already in use. You exist in the system but nobody bothered to tell you that. All right, they have an option to log in using your Google account. So I'm logged in now. Problem solved?

Policy does not exist in your account. No worries, you can add a policy by clicking here. But why wouldn't you automatically associate the policy if you already have my email and phone associated with the account?

Oh well, add new policy. Policy number is in multiple pieces, each piece goes into it's own little box. Enter premium amount. Why? Apparently it's a security feature. Only a legit customer would know both the policy number and the premium. Right. OK. The premium amount is on the policy document, which is a PDF attachment in my mailbox. Not a problem, entered it. And done. On to the OBDII port?

Nope.

What? Maybe I missed it, back to the list of policies. Nope, nothing there. OK, contact customer service, send email with screenshot. They should be able to fix it right.

Time passes...

3 emails from customer service. Wow. Er... all auto responses. "We are looking into it, will respond as soon as we can, etc. etc." But here's an interesting tidbit - "In case your matter requires immediate attention, you may chat with us instantly on below link, we are available round the clock (24/7)."

My problem is not an emergency, to be honest. So I wait. No further response till the next morning. I do have one more trick to try - they have a web based portal as well. It may have more functionality than the app. (One of my pet peeves, why would you not put everything in the app?)

On the browser, wade through their page looking for a login link. Finally find it (there should really be a standard location for login links, in this case there was a login link right at the top, but it was in the middle of the bar, not to the right like most sites do. I think I should just have asked the browser to search for "login" instead of scanning the text myself; might be a good idea for a plugin?). User id, password. OK, I don't actually have one since I logged in using the Google account the last time. No worries, "forgot password" (the web forces us to lie, I didn't forget the password, I didn't have it to begin with), send password to both email and phone. Wait.

Time passes...

Nothing. Try again... wait... nothing.

Oh well, login with Google again. My policies. Nothing there - click "here" to add new policies. But wait. Validate your phone number first. Click this button to send OTP. 

Click. Nothing. Click. Click. Click. 4 OTPs on the phone. How much effort does it take to disable the button after I click on it, or even to show a message that an OTP is on the way?

Enter the last of the OTPs, congratulations, your phone is verified. Now you can add a policy. Same set of data to enter, policy number and either the premium amount or the date of birth of the policy holder. Hmm... not sure I gave DoB in a car insurance policy application, but who knows?

Enter the policy number, enter premium. "Policy Number Already Exist." Nice.

Let's try the chat. Here's the transcript, edited to remove some personal details:


Thanks for contacting Insurance Company. Currently all our representatives were assisting to other customer. Kindly be online, our next available representative will assist you shortly

CustRep
9:42:13 AM
• Good Morning...

You
9:42:20 AM
• Hi.I am unable to add my policy to my online account. The error shown is "Policy Number Already Exist.Please Check Again. "

CustRep
9:42:24 AM
• You are chatting with CustRep

CustRep
9:43:01 AM
• ok sir may i know it is what kind of insurence

You
9:43:15 AM
• Car insurance

You
9:43:20 AM
• Policy number NUMBER

CustRep
9:43:48 AM
• ok sir already have add any other policy in this portal

You
9:43:56 AM
• No

You
9:44:07 AM
• I've logged in today for the first time

CustRep
9:44:23 AM
• ok sir

CustRep
9:44:37 AM
• We regret for the inconvenience caused to you in this regard

CustRep
9:45:06 AM
• may i know your name?

You
9:45:18 AM
• MYNAME

You
9:45:33 AM
• The policy is in the name of NAME

CustRep
9:46:56 AM
• ok sir

CustRep
9:47:50 AM
• plz send the screen shot your error customercare@InsuranceCompany.co.in

CustRep
9:48:13 AM
• our team will be check your details and let you know

You
9:48:34 AM
• OK. I've already done that.

You
9:49:15 AM
• The auto response said I could use chat if I wanted quicker help.

CustRep
9:49:24 AM
• within 3 working you will get the revert back

You
9:50:02 AM
• Thanks. Looks like the chat channel can't do much to help.


Back to square one. Very tempted to change insurance providers once the term is up next year. If I've paid good money for a tracking device I expect it to work. If an auto response says I can use chat, I expect them to be able to help.

I'm thinking there should be a public licensing org that should audit such companies' websites, processes and workflows before they are allowed to launch. I also think users should have to be licensed before they can be let loose on the Web.

No comments: