Jan 2, 2017

Language

PT asked me about how I'm getting along in communicating, given I have no Chinese speaking skills whatsoever. Pasting my answer to him below:

English for the ones in office and hotel. Housekeeping staff doesn't understand much but I don't need more than gestures and basic English to communicate with them.

Taxi drivers via cards that the hotel reception writes for me if I ask them to call a taxi for me. I always carry a hotel address card for returning to the hotel.

Local map app for showing places where I want to go, either to taxi drivers or even asking for directions.

Google and Bing translate apps for asking for stuff in supermarkets and for taking photos for translation.

People are helpful and so far everyone I've had to interact with can read from the phone. Team mate came with me to get my local SIM card and also helped to get my Suzhou citizen's card (for bus, subway etc.) so it was faster, but I could have probably struggled through it without him being there.

Subway is marked in English, so as long as you know where you want to go you should be fine.

Bank account form was in Chinese but a lady there filled it out for me, she spoke English.

No comments: