Apr 3, 2006

Shopping

Can anyone tell me why shopping for computer parts is so difficult in Noida? I want a new video card and a power supply, so I just went around a couple of shops to get an idea of the availability and prices.

The first guy wrote down the fact that I wanted a "PCIe video card" and then made the customary call to some invisible guy who actually keeps the parts in stock.

"Do you want a 256MB video card?" he said. Ummmm... I guess so, but that's hardly the first question I expected.
"Uh. Yes, 256 MB."
"He wants 256 MB, what's the price? No, the real one. Not the one with the BIOS mod to display 256 MB... which company? ATi? OK. Radeon? OK."
He beamed at me. "ATi video card, sir, 256 MB. Radeon."
Riiiiight. "Radeon what?" I asked him.
"ATi Radeon, sir. 256 MB video card!"
I tried explaining to him about models in the Radeon line, but he was insistent that he had the 256 MB ATi Radeon. I finally gave up on him.
"Ditch the card. Do you have Antec power supplies? 480 watts, or more?"
"Ant.. what?"
"Antec."
"A-N-T-E-K"... he wrote down and made the call to the invisible guy again.
"No such thing as Ante-k, sir. We have Antrix.. er.. Antrex... something." He frowned and then asked the guy on the other end "Isn't that expensive for a power supply?"
"I would really like to have an Antec, or a CoolerMaster, or ThermalTake..."
He blinked. "I'm giving you the best power supply, sir. No local companies."
"OK, ditch the power supply. Do you have any Transcend or Kingston RAM?"
"We can get it for you tomorrow, sir."

2 comments:

chaos said...

OMG.... poor you...

go to nehru place... (delhi)

Anonymous said...

You are in U.P. :)