Feb 5, 2006

Making life easier...

... for students. That's the latest trend that's caught my attention. Lowering the load, both physically as well as in a mental sense. Making subjects optional, especially Mathematics. Removing the marking system and replacing it with grading. Ensuring that nobody fails. Lessening the importance of the Board exams.

When all this started, I kept on thinking that it's a good idea. I mean, I would certainly have loved to have less homework, not do Math and have no schoolbag to carry.

But then I began to wonder (yes, I seem to do that a lot).

Would I have studied anything at all if it was optional? If everyone was made to pass exams, why would anyone take the trouble to learn? Why are we so hell-bent on making things easier for the kids when the world is getting tougher to live in by the day? The result of all this coddling would probably be young folk who whine at all the unfariness of the real world, who think they deserve everything without working for it because that's the way it was in school.

1 comment:

chaos said...

yup...
and todays parents also think that because there is 'un-necessary' competition, there's too much load from schools... well if the focus is moved to just extra-curriculars then the basic education goes for the toss... and the coming generation will get confuse in 2+2=4!