Feb 4, 2006

Worm?

I'm sort of disappointed. Nobody sent me the worm that's making the rounds these days.

But I did get a nice laugh out of the news reports on TV channels. ALL computers are at grave risk. Especially those in people's homes. Because even though BPO companies have a lot of computers, they also have a SPECIAL team called the IT team whose job it is to run antivirus software and keep it updated. But people home PCs don't have this special software! The only way to prevent all your data from being wiped off is to buy LICENSED antivirus software. Most important, this latest 'virus' can cause damage to your keyboard and mouse.

That last one stumped me for some while. Then I heard the quote from the so-called virus expert who was merely saying that the worm can lock up the mouse and keyboard apart from going around deleting files and mailing itself to everyone in your address book.

Isn't it strange then, that I was running a Windows machine without SP2, without any antivirus (licensed or otherwise) and just the Windows firewall on, for 12 hours each night for the past month and my keyboard and mouse are still undamaged? I had a nice game of Unreal Tournament 2004 (licensed) today morning.

No comments: