Mar 1, 2007

My laptop is dead...

... long live the dual core Opteron!

Because if it doesn't I'll have to fall back to the 1GHz P3... sigh.

Yes, my M6805 is dead. The power lights turn on but nothing happens after that. Of course, it was overclocked to 2 GHz but it's a bit late to think about that. The question now is, what can be salvaged from the carcass? HDD yes, a puny little 60GB, 4200rpm thing. 2x256 MB SODIMMs, but no place to put them in, and I don't think I'd get too much for them if I sell them. Mobile Athon64... hmmm... socket 754.


UPDATE: It lives! Turns out it had a dead SODIMM that it does not complain about but simply refuses to boot. Removed it and the laptop turns on as if nothing happened. But running with 256MB is a pain. The Ubuntu Live CD I tried used up all the RAM and I had to give it a flash drive to use as swap. Finally got rid of the Windows install and am running with Ubuntu. Phew...

No comments: